Lionder - Violin In The Rain (Meaning)

My new music video is finally out and I'm so grateful about it. It's not just a random music video for a random song. It's not about parties or love. It's about our girl, Christina Grimmie, our love. 




I've been watching her videos since 2012. She'd inspire me to do the Titanium cover on my channel. I'd look up to her because she had such an amazing voice. 

I was more tuned this year to her channel. I'd listen to every cover of hers and original song and she'd always make my day. 
I remember I was with my cousin's girlfriend and we watched together her "I need a hero" cover and in the end of the bridge of the song, we were like "WOW". 

She had one of the best voices ever. She could reach all of the highest notes and I'd always be amazed like it's the first time to hear her. I am so inspired by her. 

That Saturday, when it was announced that she was shot, I was shocked. I was logged in my Instagram account and was scrolling through my newsfeed when a Christina photo popped up. I clicked at her profile and people were commenting below her photos "Rest In Peace". I  thought to myself "That's just troll, it's fake". But then I googled about it and It was true; Christina was shot. 

I wasn't able to know about the shooting before she died so I was not obviously there when people would post #PrayForChristina. I was able, instead, to see the hashtag #RipChristina. I was speechless. 

It was noon and I had to rest because at night I would sing with the choir. I thought to myself that I had to rest for an hour or so. 

When I woke up, I turned on the PC, watched her Titanium cover and burst into tears. 
It was the first time in my life that I would cry listening to a song. It affected me so much. 

I decided to not say anything to my mother until the choir show was over because I didn't want to affect the situation or bring sadness into the atmosphere -it was a show night so I had to not have anxiety or let anything affect me. 
I had to swallow my pain, act like I was feeling great and sing.
While I was singing I'd try to not think about her but it was hard for me to do so.
When the show was over and we were on our way home, I said to my mother what happened and cried once again. I didn't want to make her sad but it was so hard for me to keep that all to myself. 
When we got home, we watched 2 of her covers and I burst into tears one more time. 


Some hours later, I sat over my piano and wrote a song, led by her voice. While I was writing it, I'd listen to her angelic voice in my ears and it was like that song was written just for her. I even wrote it in a higher note but the next day, I understood it was too high for me to reach. 

Since then, I still miss her. I listen to her almost every single day and thank goodness I am able to control my feelings. The first week was hard for me to control my feelings. I'd always feel sadness -so much sadness.

I now feel like I have a special bond with her. 
Her death affected me so much like it was someone I knew personally. I feel like she owns a part of myself right now and however hard it is, I'm going to finish what she started. Remember that someday. 

There is a meaning behind the whole music video. 


I shot the video at a house with a piano and some posters on the wall. 
It represents her room, her creative space, the place where she started shooting videos for YouTube. The posters were made by her fans. 
Here is a photo of them closely. 


I didn't want to put her name in the video for a few reasons so I tried to highlight her spirit by some signs such as the ones below: 


  • One of the posters says "If you can't find what's unique, people aren't going to listen". This is a quote by Christina. 



  • The poster "We are a #Team" includes some of the names that she has worked with such as "Sam Tsui, Kurt Schneider, Taio Cruz, Tiffany Alvord, Selena Gomez and more".



  • The sol key was drawn firstly because she loved music and secondly, it was in the artcover of her last EP; Side A



  • "Faceless Christina" was sketched by my best friend and assistant director of this video, Nikos. He wasn't sure if he was able to sketch the face correctly so he left it like this giving another dimension in the meaning of this video; Christina is everyone who has passed away unfairly or even more specific, Orlando. 



  • When the nature part comes on, it indicates the fact that Christina from her little room, she went to Heaven. 


That's all about my new music video and the connection I feel with Christina. I sent my deepest condolence to her family. 
That was my way of saying Goodbye. 

Please, be kind and love one another. It's important.

Peace, Lionder 


Comments

Follow me on Instagram!

Popular Posts